Righting wrongs

Last year, on January 7, 2010, one proud member of the Baseball Writers Association of America wrote the truth:

We botched it. There’s no other way to say it. We botched it.

– Steve Buckley

People screw up. I have. Far too many times. You have. The BBWAA has. It’s our nature.

Roberto Alomar’s screwed up, too. I can still see that nasty loogie hitting John Hirschbeck’s face. The “spitting incident” even has its own subsection on Alomar’s Wikipedia page. It’s hard to believe that A) Alomar actually spit in Hirschbeck’s face, and B) That it happened in Toronto.

I was pissed off with the BBWAA about Alomar not making the cut last year. He is/was a first ballot hall of fame inductee. But none of that matters anymore. If a year’s wait was Alomar’s penalty, so be it.

Alomar screwed up back in 1996, and, in apologizing to Hirschbeck, and actually becoming his friend, Alomar righted his wrong. Today, when the BBWAA calls on Alomar to Cooperstown, they’ll right their wrong.

I’ve wondered of late why I feel so emotionally invested in Alomar’s candidacy. And why I care so much about sports, something so trivial, in general. It’s hard not to question my devotion when, during a live-blog I’m paid to host for The Score, some miserable soul comes along and says: “Hey fuckface, your mom told me to tell you that dinner’s ready upstairs.” No, asshole, mom gave me dinner before the game, like I asked.

Obviously, I know why Alomar’s call to the hall is a big deal. Alomar reminds me of my youth. My fleeting youth. Growing up, his posters and pictures were on my walls. I had a binder full of Alomar’s baseball cards. It was literally an Alomar-only baseball card binder. The cover was red, if my memory serves me correctly, which it probably doesn’t. When I grew up, I wanted to be the Toronto Blue Jays’ switch-hitting, Gold Glove-winning second baseman. Who didn’t?

I think of Alomar and Carlos Delgado as the greatest Blue Jays I’ve ever seen. Naturally, this calls for a WARGraph. And between them, it isn’t even close. Alomar’s the best position baseball player Toronto has ever seen. That Toronto might ever see.

The Toronto Blue Jays will finally be represented: Alomar’s off to Cooperstown. And for the first time in my life, on Friday, July 22, so am I.

Image courtesy the Internet. Thanks, Internet.

January 5th, 2011 at 10:51 am

9 Responses to 'Righting wrongs'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Righting wrongs'.

1. Hope there’s room in the car!!

SA

5 Jan 11 at 11:35 am

2. I will never get the writers’ tier system and who should get voted in on the first try and who shouldn’t. If a guy is a Hall of Fame player, one year should be all you need. But the writers who vote this stuff are a joke. You HAVE to vote the PED era players in no matter their status as users or supposed users. Were they the best of their era? Bingo. Hall of Fame.

Alomar was the most amazing fielding second baseman I’ve ever seen. I don’t care what the fielding stats say. The guy was awesome and beautiful. The plays he made were rediculous. I can still picture him sprawled on his hands and knees with his hat askew after making another amazing play in the first base hole. He was the best….EVER.

5 Jan 11 at 11:37 am

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ryan Oakley and Toronto Blue Jays. Toronto Blue Jays said: Sports And The City >> Righting Wrongs http://buzztap.com/-pdwFPk [...]

4. I’m watching the coverage on MLB.com right now, and they’re showing stock footage of Alomar and I can’t believe he didn’t make it in last year. Time to right those wrongs today!

5 Jan 11 at 1:33 pm

5. It’s official; 90% of the vote. Lovely.

And don’t worry, SA, we’re riding in style. I’m bringing the Dodge Caravan.

5 Jan 11 at 2:11 pm

6. I would bet money that, based on the sports writers that do it, the people that use the basement joke are the biggest fucking losers on the planet.

Viva Alomar!

7. Great Piece. We have similar sentiments over what Alomar meant to us in our youth. He was catalyst of my baseball fandom. http://baseballcanadiana.com/2011/01/06/some-dude-named-alomar/

Travis Reitsma

6 Jan 11 at 1:46 am

8. @ PPP: Yo, there are some angry mother fuckers on the this here Internet.

@ Travis: Cheers. There must be tons of us who feel the same way. Look forward to reliving the memories again in July.

6 Jan 11 at 4:07 am

9. Here’s hoping I can attend Cooperstown as well this year. Particularly if I can’t navigate spring training…

Escaped Lab Rat